Fritz the Airedale Terrier

It's been a long while since posting. I've been busy here and there. I still keep up with gardening which may or may not be a good thing (many plants that we eat aren't healthy for dogs). I've finally adopted an Airedale Terrier. They look so regal but in all actuality they are quite the clowns.

Fritz isn't a clown just yet. He misses home, which hurts me sometimes but he is getting used to me. Before he would be so quiet and hardly look around his surroundings, but that is understandable after a two hour car trip. He did it all: pooped, peed, vomit. I was frightened by the fact that he didn't want any water. When we finally got home he was finally able to drink and even eat. Even then, he was still very quiet. 

The first night didn't go so well for him. He constantly wanted attention: whimpered and licked my hand. I've heard that it's good to get him used to a little bit of isolation but I'm letting him off easy for the first week. I want him to really like living with me. 

The second day, I returned a collar to PetSmart and got a harness instead. It looks quite good on him and I will post pictures of him tomorrow. We went out for a walk and he was very well behaved (a young gentleman in the making)! Thank you Vicky from Wheelers Oak Hill Kennel for bringing me this blessing! He hardly barks (maybe because he is still getting used to his new home),  he understands sit, and he walks with a leash pretty well. It was fun to run around in the yard with him. We just need to stay away from onions, he took a bite out of an onion flower and spat it out (According to a PetSmart keep your dog away from: tomato leaves, raisins/grapes, and onions). 

He hates being alone, but he "behaves" fairly well. Even though he can see me in the kitchen, he doesn't leave his spot and whines for me to come back (how exactly am I supposed to do the dishes)? He is quite amazing, he just "knows" his barriers. He doesn't leave the living room without my supervision.

If you are getting a puppy yourself, I would definitely recommend pig ears. Fritz's tail wagged excitedly when I brought home the SEALED bag. He was far more interested in me after giving him one. It was his reward for letting me put the harness on him. He hates it, but at least when he tugs on his leash (on the rare occasion) I don't have to worry about him choking himself.

Before closing this post, I'd like to say Vicky's dogs are quite the beasts. I could swear that Fritz's dad's head would meet up to my chest while standing on all fours. I didn't think the Airedale got as big as her dogs were. Well at least he'll definitely make for a good watchdog.




Comments

Popular Posts