Oh Yeah! Ollas!


Mata Ortiz pottery - Juan Quezada
I just started to create my plastic bottle irrigation system... but that idea is scrapped. Ollas are way more awesome. They have so many fantastic advantages: less watering, not much of a danger of over-watering, and less chances of weeds growing on your bed!












Check out the video below (the sound is awful but this is the best video that highlights the benefits of Ollas):


















Mine are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the first picture above.

My creations were made of three terracotta pots glued together. I'm far too lazy to deal with a small hole.




 I filled the pot up to this point at 9:18 am.

 Already, the water is starting to find its way out.
 At 9:42 I went back out and you can see... my poor crafting skills and that the water has begun to seep out of the pots.

Since I didn't want to have to deal with putting my hose or a funnel on the top of the pot I made mine out of three terracotta pots. I decided to use a 6 lb Folgers coffee top to use as a cover (to prevent it from becoming a mosquito home and prevent too much evaporation). I'll probably get crafty and go to Hobby Lobby and make a mosaic so it'll be too heavy for it to fly away. I better not forget to put on a nob.

Comments

Popular Posts