Artichokes

Got on a research frenzy for gardening and found an interesting website: Sunset. There is a section where you can find your "Sunset climate zone." The Sunset Climate Zone: "A plant's performance is governed by the total climate: length of growing season, timing and amount of rainfall, winter lows, summer highs, wind, and humidity.

Sunset's climate zone maps take all these factors into account, unlike the familiar hardiness zone maps devised by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which divides most of North America into zones based strictly on winter lows."

I am in Zone 33 a very unpredictable spot. "Yay me," I thought sarcastically, thinking that I would be limited in my selection of edibles. I am very content with my search results of 290 edible plants!

I am all the more excited that I can grow Cynaracardunculus (What is that? Why it's an artichoke of course ;). I am all the more curious about growing the Purple of Romagna variety of artichokes. Garden Betty took a beautiful shot of them. If not, how about the Concerto, Violette de Provence or Fiesole? According to the British Telegraph, these are the varieties that you can eat the entire artichoke. Would love to try it :).

So I decided to take the plunge and ordered from Rare Seeds and ordered the Violet de Provence Artichoke variety and the Purple of Romagna Artichoke variety. They should be coming in next week. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts