Lo! My sad square foot garden.. I know that it was all done completely in the wrong way, but I was impatient and also had another pair of hands that had wanted to do it their own way. This is my first garden and it will be better the next time. Apparently, your supposed to allow the earth to "rest" after a cycle or two. I haven't been able to find out if I'm supposed to keep it weed free or let the weeds grow on the patch until it's time to start up again.
Cilantro, on the bottom right, is a somewhat tricky thing (along with basil). However it really shot up (in my standards) in the last breaths of its life. The plant to it's left is a dying jalepeno plant. The plant next to it is a basil plant which would be bigger if I could find where else I need to prune. There is a nifty Pinterest trick: cut a 1/4 of an inch above where two leaves are shooting from the stem. It was a lot smaller before. The row of green onions are no longer growing (since the weather has been too hot). I have been successful with my sage, my oregano, thyme, rosemary, and an onion. Even though my garden was not planned too well at least I haven't had to go through the trouble of buying herbs. I'll try to do it right for fall.  

On a side note, I was given a wonderful surprise this evening. Two farmers came to my door looking for customers. For $60 we were given a crate full of onions, peaches, watermelon, cantaloupe, and oranges. From reading nutritionist studies, the nutritional value of fruits and vegetables start to degrade from the moment they are picked. Apparently it is the same with taste. He gave us samples of the fruit and it really was quite a sensation! The peaches, oranges, and melons tasted just like they normally would do but with an exclamation mark. It really is something that you should try if you've never had something straight from a farm. I don't even like eating tomatoes by themselves, but the sample he gave me was an entirely different experience from what I had tasted. I'm not sure if these people have a website since I wasn't able to find them. He said that they were from Richardson Produce near McAllen, TX (yes, it's quite far).

Comments

Popular Posts